By Emilee Smith G’16
The time has come. After four years of waking up early for classes, cramming for tests and pulling all-nighters, graduation has happened! These years have been some of the most stressful but also some of the most rewarding in your life. In four short years you have underwent a journey of self-discovery, made valuable connections, and started down the path to your career.
So with graduation just passed, what should you be doing before you officially leave college behind? Here are a few ideas…
- Keep networking. While this is great advice for anyone, you should especially keep networking if you have not yet secured a job or internship. The more you grow your network, the more likely you are to learn about job and internship opportunities.
- Keep in touch. Just because you are leaving college behind doesn’t mean you should leave your connections behind. Whether it’s friends or professors or Career Services, be sure to keep in touch with all of the people you have met and bonded with during your time here.
- Keep building your portfolio. Review your portfolio and make sure all of your best work is included. Have yet to start building a portfolio? Check out this article to learn where you can begin.
But aside from the habits you already know about, it’s now time to look to the future and adapt habits and practices pertinent to college graduates. These tips should get you started:
- Get qualified. If your career or chosen profession requires further education or certification, be sure to register for the given exams or certification programs.
- Join professional organizations. Does your profession have a professional society or organization that you can join? If so, research what you need to do in order to become a member.
- Understand your finances. In six months you will have to begin making payments on your student loans. Visit the websites of your student loan providers and gain an understanding of what you will be expected to pay each month. Looking at the numbers will help you determine a payment plan best for you.
Although it can all seem a little overwhelming, just remember: you are a brand new Syracuse University graduate. The world is full of opportunities and you are more than prepared for whatever the career world throws your way. Be sure to celebrate, and prepare for the road ahead.
We’re here for you after you graduate as long as you can complete a phone or Skype appointment! Call 315-443-3616 to set up an appointment.