Dan Olson-Bang

Meet Dan Olson-Bang!

Our new Associate Director just joined the office on Monday, November 3! We thought this would be a great time to introduce him to you, so we asked him to answer some questions about himself.

Slice of Advice: Tell us why you’re so excited to start working at Career Services/SU and/or why are you excited to be in Syracuse?
Dan Olson-Bang: One of the things that I look forward to in my role in Career Services is to meet with a wide variety of graduate students from across SU’s campus. I really like to hear about the kinds of projects that people are working on and to learn about different disciplines. My own interests run toward the eclectic (I really like to learn about the science of cooking and I enjoy biology, for instance), so I hope to learn some cool things from everyone! I also think I am going to learn quite a bit from everyone in the Career Services office, which is really exciting to me.

I also look forward to spending more time outdoors than I could where I used to live. Since I know about snowy Syracuse, I’m looking forward to learning how to ski. But I also like to camp and hike, which should be a bit easier than it was for me near New York City.

SOA: Tell us your favorite hobby.
DOB: Cycling. I love everything about bikes: I like to fix them, I like to have them, and I like to ride them. I particularly like old ones. I have a classic Italian racing bike from 1963 that I got at a garage sale that is my pride and joy (even if parts periodically fall off of it). I also follow professional racing like the Tour de France. My dream is to get a “snow bike” as they call them, which is a mountain bike with huge tires, to ride in Syracuse’s snowy winters!

SOA: Tell us an interesting fact or skill you have.
DOB: I was born in Germany. People always ask if I was an Army kid, since I came to America at 18 months, but my dad was an opera singer, singing in Germany and Austria. You could say that he is a recovering opera singer now. As for me, I play a few instruments myself (badly), and am a music lover like everyone else in my family.

SOA: I f you could have any superpower what would it be?
DOB: I can tell you what superpower I would like to have: speed! I love going fast on my bike, so it would always be great to go just a little faster. A more dubious superpower that I have been told that I have is an ability to spot grammatical errors at a hundred feet, a skill that I will hope to use with all those cover letters I’ll read in Career Services.

Tags: , , , ,