By Christina Faulkner, G’16

I’m going to tell you an incredible story, the story of how I met my major. It was the year 2014 and I had tried biology, marketing, and sociology, but none seemed like the right fit. A career counselor encouraged me to consider the following three questions on my quest toward choosing a major:

interestsWhat interests me?

I considered this question and wrote down a list of my interests. It also helped to write down what I didn’t enjoy.

Looking at the list of majors on the coursecatalog.syr.edu website, I found many options that would complement my interests! Some of the majors that caught my eye were anthropology, citizenship & civic engagement, fashion design, graphic design, information management & technology, modern foreign language, public relations, and writing & rhetoric. I contemplated my options and considered the courses required of each major and whether they appealed to me.

I decided to explore a few different options by taking classes in different programs. I really enjoyed my modern Spanish art and leveraging emerging technologies classes, but not my communications and society class.

What am I good at?

Although I thought graphic design or fashion design would be interesting, I was never very good at drawing beyond stick figures and you need a portfolio to apply for those programs. I considered some of my other strengths like writing, speaking Spanish and technology and realized that anthropology, citizenship & civic engagement, information management & technology, modern foreign language, public relations, and writing & rhetoric majors could still be a good fit!

What are my goals and how does this major fit with them?

I had always imagined myself living in a big city after graduation and/or traveling around the world on occasion. I preferred to work for a nonprofit organization or small start-up company because of the culture and environment those types of organizations offer. I looked at the Placement Report to see what students in a few different majors have done after graduation and thought that some of the information management & technology and public relations grads were doing cool jobs related to my goals. Really, I had many options, but after a few semesters of experimenting with different classes in different majors, there was one that really stood out…it’s going to be legend-wait for it…dary!

Now, remember that everyone is different and although these questions are a great starting point, meeting with a career counselor can be helpful for generating ideas, sorting through the options, and finding resources to research different paths.

While you can discuss your major at any time, next week Career Services offers Major Dilemma Drop-Ins dedicated to students who are in the process of a choosing a major! Stop by Schine 235 Monday, March 24 through Thursday, March 27 from 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. to meet with a career counselor about YOUR major match!

Tags: , , , , , ,