RachelMervisBy Rachel Mervis, ’11

LinkedIn is essentially a resume open for everyone to see. There are different points of view on which aspects are the most important to utilize. Essentially it depends on your strengths as well as your objectives. I got my current job at iAcquire, an SEO agency via my LinkedIn profile. I asked the recruiter what information leads him to select his recruits.

1. He chooses second connections so that he can ask 3 or 4 people about the candidate and get the truth about their work ethic and personality.
  2. He doesn’t place too much emphasis on endorsements as he does not know the people who have given them or whether they were solicited.
  3. He looks for the skills acquired through past internships and jobs.

I have often wondered whether it is prudent to show your sense of humor somewhere on your LinkedIn profile. I asked this to our recruiter who stated, “it sort of depends on the position you are looking for and the way you go about it. It is vital that any humor be classy and appropriate.”

The takeaways from this are to connect on LinkedIn with every classmate, colleague and acquaintance that you meet along the way. Obviously, it is unfair to say to make a good impression with everyone you meet. However, it is important not to burn any bridges, as well as to make every effort to put your best foot forward. The sooner you adopt these principles, the easier it will be to establish a network and a career.

Feel free to email me with any further questions at rachel.s.mervis@gmail.com.

Tags: , ,