Compiled by Tracy Tillapaugh, Career Consultant

We recently asked alumni to share their stories of what they majored in at Syracuse University and what they currently do in their careers.

We wanted to show that your college major doesn’t always equate to a career! Take a look at the great responses we received to our tweet:

@JeremyRyan44: I majored in TRF production @NewhouseSU but now I work in journalism as a news manager & former website manager.

@KristySmorol: I majored in broadcast journalism and I’m now working in marketing/PR.

@samedelstein:  I majored in econ and policy studies and now work in alumni relations!

@SunyyinSyracuse: Majored in sociology, work in social media & community management!

@ekyle: I have an AOS and BS in networking and network security and I am about to get my MS in TNM. I’m a software engineer.

@hsholkin: Does moving from TV news (Newhouse TV-R degree) to PR and marketing programs 31 years ago qualify? (Editor’s note: YES!)

@rmahtani: I studied Industrial Design – now I work in Social Media/Marketing.

@mussakram: Management consulting with an engineering degree

@abeljabel: YEP! Double major in Broadcast Journalism at Newhouse & Economics from Maxwell. NOW I’m a celebrity publicist in LA!

@AshOst: I majored in Child and Family Studies/Nutrition now work for NBCUniversal for The Jerry Springer Show!

@The_Mike_hay: Major was Football/Economics. Currently an accountant for a television production company based in New York.

@rattner31:Graduated hospitality management. Now work in digital marketing with hotels.

@MusicGroz: History. Work at Apple Genius Bar.

@lizzigilbert: Majored in psychology, ended up in marketing!

@anupbhonsale: Did my MS in Engineering Management @ SU, now I run a Finance and Retail company in India named OICSPL.

Alumni also chimed in on the ‘CuseConnect group in LinkedIn:

Fiona Andrews: Graduated spring ’12 with a degree in music (voice/piano concentration), and now I work at a top marketing firm in NJ.

Judith Fajardo: I graduated in 2008 with a B.S. in Advertising. I decided my senior year that I didn’t want to have the lifestyle of working in an agency, so I decided to pursue higher education, sales then returned to higher education instead. Now I work for Newhouse.

Jonathan Troen: I graduated in ’89 from Newhouse – Television, Radio, and Film. Spent my first 20 or so years in radio, then Internet, then Television. Now I own an organic snack company, OM Snacks, and teach yoga and meditation, as well as coach other entrepreneurs. A big change from the entertainment world, and tons of fun!

Shayna Bentkover: I graduated in 2009 with a Bachelors of Industrial Design. After a few freelancing jobs, I eventually decided Industrial Design was not meant to be for me. I had taken a job as a Design Studio Specialist at my local Pottery Barn and excelled in the sales aspect of the role and long story short I am now part of a thriving sales team at LinkedIn. While I am not using my design skills directly, there are many other transferable skills that I learned from the Industrial Design program at Syracuse and I don’t think I would be where I am today if I had chosen any other major.

Michael Lambert: I graduated in ’84 with a degree in Industrial Engineering; during my senior year, the Engineering school announced they would end the I.E. program after the year, which turned out to be somewhat prophetic. After working in that field for about 3 1/2 years, I thought I’d try my hand at teaching and went back to school for a Math Teaching degree, and ended up teaching high school for a while, but after getting married and thinking about the cost of a house and kids on a teacher’s salary, I jumped into IT, where I have been for about 20 years now, in various roles.

Lawrence Harlan: I specialize in placing software and hardware engineers throughout Silicon Valley. My industry is high-tech staffing and my job title is outside sales. I graduated from SU in 2000 and majored in Mathematics. My career isn’t directly related to my SU major, but I’m constantly solving difficult problems and seeking the truth.

Bottom line? As you can see from all of the stories above, what you major in during college doesn’t necessarily dictate what your career will look like. Consider your major dilemma SOLVED!

Tags: , ,