By Alyssa Austin ’13

During mid-semester last year, I decided to browse OrangeLink in an attempt to find possible internships for the summer. I filled out each selection box as specifically as I could and not before long, a unique looking name called “Terakeet” was presented as the best possible suggestion given my previous answers. A Search Engine Optimizing (SEO) Company located right in downtown Syracuse was looking for interns, and I wasted no time in sending an email to the person named, as well as a copy of my resume.  Short of two weeks, I received my first email response and after a few more email conversations and one in-person interview, I was awarded an intern position. Now I encourage every SU student to use OrangeLink to find internships and possible jobs for the future.

I’m not much of a “city-person,” so I was happy to find that downtown Syracuse is the perfect balance of bustling city life while maintaining intimate settings for hanging out with friends or grabbing lunch – something I did on a regular basis with other interns. Within our hour break, we got to see a lot of downtown Syracuse, relishing in our memories of being there during freshmen orientation. On more than one occasion I, as well as other interns, ran into Terakeet employees on the weekends, illustrating the intimacy one can achieve in the city. It was not only comforting to recognize other individuals, but an enjoyable experience.

Not only did my internship teach me the art of doing specialized research through social media, forms of professional writing and dynamic investigative reporting, but they also made the summer worthwhile and most importantly, taught me how to be successful after college in whatever I choose to pursue. Sometimes arriving early allowed me to talk with other employees about their experiences, for example, how they decided to enter the workforce over graduate school or how they simultaneously decided to do them both. I gained not only skills I will utilize in the workforce, but valuable advice on life after undergraduate studies and I have my internship to thank.

There are so many avenues to pursue while in college – it can be a tad overwhelming, but thankfully, we SU students have exceptional assistance at our disposal. I could not be more grateful for OrangeLink and Career Services.

Check out Mac Cummings, CEO of Terakeet, when he speaks at the Tech Garden on Tuesday, September 25th at 6:00p.m.!

Tags: , , ,

0 thoughts on “Summer in the City…the City of Syracuse, that is!